Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Carlee's Mama is not as perfect as she thinks

I think I broke Carlee's heart the other night.
I was looking for something to eat and decided to heat up a frozen burrito. I told Carlee that Daddy ate a frozen burrito every night when he and I were dating. I told her they were cheap - 10 for a dollar. She asked if Daddy was poor when we were dating and I told her he wasn't but that he tried to save all his money so he could take Mommy on nice dates on the weekends. Then she asked me where he worked and I told her he worked the night shift at Budweiser. She didn't have a clue what Budweiser was- I was a bit surprised, but glad to know she is still in somewhat of a bubble at age 10. I told her it was a beer making factory and she asked why Daddy worked there. I told her it was before he was baptized. She asked if he every drank it and I said yes but that as soon as he met me and I told him I didn't like him to drink it then he stopped. I wanted to ingrain in her head that beer is gross so I told her to never drink it because it tastes like dog piss. I thought she would say she knows it is so gross and that she will NEVER drink it. She asked how did I know that it tasted bad and I told her a friend and I drank one of my friend's dad's beers one time. She got choked up and couldn't believe I would every taste beer. I explained to her that teenagers often think they know better than their parents and I thought I could make my own choices, even though it was a bad choice. I can't believe I crushed my little girl's perfect image of her Mama! We were then able to talk about making good choices and that parents know what is best for their children so we should always listen to our parents :)

No comments: